fr | en

Separated by coma

Insurances (health, Accomodation, Civil liability)

Health Insurance

Health insurance is compulsory in France for all students enrolled in a higher education institution, including exchange students staying in France for over 3 months as part of a period of study. .

What is the procedure?

  • European Students

You must bring your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The dates indicated on the EHIC must cover the your entire stay in France.

This card will facilitate thehelp you getreimbursements reimbursed of for health expenses with through the CPAM (Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie),  which will be your social security centre.


32 rue Louis Gain

49 937 Angers cedex 9


  • Non-European students

If you are under the age of 28, non-E.U citizens must register  for the student social security scheme even if you are covered by your home country's insurance. The French social security entitles you to reimbursement for approximately 70% of your healthcare costs (GP consultation, pharmacy, hospital).

If you are staying in France for more than three months, it is mandatory to subscribe to the French sécurité sociale.


Please note : Erasmus Students who are not part of the European Economic system Area (i.e. from Turkey…) must subscribe tosign up to the same French Health Insurance system, the same as for  that applies to French students, except if they stay in France for under 3 months..

If your stay in France for less than three months, subscription at the student social security scheme is not required. However, they've to provide any document from their home insurance (translated in french or in english) as proof of health coverage during their stay.

  • Students from Quebec

If you do not have the “SE 401 Q102 bis” form, you should follow the procedure for non-European students.


  • Students over the age of 28

You  are no longer entitled to French student social security. You must either apply for basic CMU (“Couverture Maladie Universelle”  = Universal Health Coverage) with the Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (CPAM) or take out a French private health insurance plan.

How can I get reimbursed for healthcare costs?

  • Send the following documents to the CPAM
    • a “feuille de soins” (treatment form) which you will obtain from your doctor
    • a photocopy of your European health card (European students only)
    • a R.I.B (“relevé d'identité bancaire” - bank account information form)
    • a photocopy of your student card

Refunds range from 60% to 70% of fees.

  • Send your prescriptions and related bills to your health insurance company in your home country to get reimbursed directly.

Can I get a more comprehensive health coverage ?

Insurance companies also offer additional health insurance policies to cover remaining expenses.

Registering for an additional health insurance is not compulsory but highly recommended, especially in cases of hospitalisation. You will find all the information about prices and contracts on the insurance companies’ websites or at the " Info Campus" desk on the Belle Beille and St Serge campuses throughout September.

Please read everything carefully and be vigilant before signing any contract.

Accommodation Insurance

Home insurance is compulsory in France.

If you are living in a uUniversity hall of residence: you must insure yourself against certain risks such are fire and water damage. This rental insurance, also known as home insurance is compulsory. The price for basic coverage is €27, and thisit will have to be paid online when you reserve apply for yourthe room. You will be able to pay on-line at the same time when you are filling in your application form using the SMEBA’s link.

If you are renting anprivate apartment or a room privately, please note that: French law also requires this insurance.

The SMEBA and LMDE companies both offer rental homeinsurance plans.

Civil Liability

This insurance is compulsory and is frequently  proposed withoften coupled with accommodation insurance. The Sstudent insurance companies also offer coverage for civil liability (accidents causedto third party), especially for students on work placements.(third party coverage), accident insurance an death benefit.