Go to contentGo to menuGo to searchGo to the news list

Insurances - University of Angers


  • Share this page on social networks
  • E-mail this page

    Send by mail

    Separated by coma
  • Print this page

Insurances (health, Accomodation, Civil liability)

Health Insurance

Health insurance is compulsory in France.

Who's concerned ?
  • European Students

You must bring your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The dates indicated on the EHIC must cover the entire stay in France.

This card will facilitate the reimbursements of health expenses with the CPAM (Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie) which will be your social security centre.


32 rue Louis Gain

49 937 Angers cedex 9


  • Non-European students

If you are under the age of 28, non-E.U citizens must register and pay for the student social security scheme even if you are covered by your home country's insurance. The French social security entitles you to reimbursement for approximately 70% of your healthcare costs (GP consultation, pharmacy, hospital).

If you are staying in France for more than three months, it is mandatory to subscribe to the French student sécurité sociale and you have to pay for it when you register at Angers University. It costs €217 (year 2017/18). You will have to choose between the SMEBA or LMDE to get the 60% to 70% refund of your medical costs.

Please note: Erasmus Students who are not part of the European Economic system (i.e. from Turkey…) must subscribe to the French Health Insurance system, the same as for French students.

If your stay in France for less than three months, subscription at the student social security scheme is not required. However, they've to provide any document from their home insurance (translated in french or in english) as proof of health coverage during their stay.

  • Students from Quebec

You are exempt from registering for French social security if you have the SE 401 Q102 bis form.If you are not in possession of these forms, you should follow the procedure for non-European citizens.

  • Students over the age of 28

You can not benefit from social security for students. You must therefore be affiliated with the Couverture Maladie Universelle, CMU (Universal Health Coverage). You will need to apply to the CMU at the international office of the Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie or take out a French private health insurance plan.

How proceed to be reimbursed of my care or after a medical visit ?

You can get reimbursed directly by your health insurance company from your home country by sending it your bills and receipts of payment

 For european students: You can get a refund of 60% to 70% from the CPAM (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie = French healthcare system) by sending the following documents to the International Relations department of the CPAM

 For non-european students: You can get a refund of 60% to 70% from the student health social security centres  you've previously choosen, i.e SMEBA or LMDE

  • a feuille de soins (treatment form) which you will obtain from your doctor
  • a photocopy of your European health card
  • a R.I.B (relevé d'identité bancaire - bank account information form)
  • a photocopy of your student ID card
How to proceed if I want to have a fair health coverage ?

Insurance companies also offer a complementary health insurance policy which covers the remaining of your medical expenses. Registering for a complementary health insurance is not compulsory but highly advised especially in cases of hospitalisation. You will find all the information about prices and contracts from the insurances companies website or during the "Guichet Info Campus" on La Passerelle during September.

In any case you have to be attentive before signing any contract.

Accomodation Insurance

If you are living in a University hall of residence: you must insure yourself against certain risks such are fire and water damage. This rental insurance, also known as home insurance is compulsory. The price is €27, and this will have to be paid when you reserve the room. You will be able to pay on-line at the same time when you are filling in your application form using the SMEBA’s link.

If you are renting an apartment or a room privately: French law also requires this insurance.

The SMEBA and LMDE companies offer rental insurance plans.

Civil Liability

This insurance is compulsory and is frequently  proposed with accomodation insurance. The student insurance companies also offer coverage for civil liability (third party coverage), accident insurance an death benefit.